Outstanding Teaching in African American Studies Award
The Outstanding Teaching in African American Studies Award is given annually to recognize the significant contributions of a faculty or teaching instructor for excellence in teaching, course development, student mentoring, and/or program building in the unit.
Core, affiliated, and zero-time appointed faculty as well as instructional staff who have direct responsibility for instruction in African American Studies are eligible for the award. The candidate must have taught courses for African American Studies for at least four semesters.
To be considered for this award, the faculty member must demonstrate:
- Consistent excellence and innovation in the classroom
- Commitment to development of African American Studies curriculum (e.g., designing new course, teaching a core or service course, etc.)
- Active participation in teaching related activities (e.g., engagement in scholarship of teaching, advising a student organization, mentoring of students and/or faculty, etc.)
- Engagement in professional development (e.g., acquiring new pedagogical skills, participation in teaching institute, attending teaching workshop, etc.)
Nominations must include:
- Completed nomination form
- Nomination letter addressing the ways in which nominee has demonstrated excellence in teaching as outlined in the above criteria (no more than two pages); self-nominations are accepted
- Current CV of nominee
- List of courses taught for African American Studies
- ICES summary report for all UIUC courses from OIR
- Peer review of teaching (no more than two pages)
- Optional: Supporting documentation is accepted, but not required (e.g., nominee’s teaching philosophy, up to 3 supporting letters from students, etc.)
- Completed nomination materials must be submitted to the African American Studies main office before 5pm on March 30, 2012.
The African American Studies Awards committee will review and evaluate the nomination materials, using the above award criteria.
The award will be announced at a reception in late April. The recipient will receive a personalized plaque, recognition at the awards reception, and the recipient's name will be placed on a plaque displayed in the African American Studies conference room..
For More Information
Shirley Olson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 217-333-7781
1201 W. Nevada St., MC143, Urbana, IL 61801