The African American Studies Outstanding Undergraduate Research Paper Competition
The Department of African American Studies announces the Outstanding Undergraduate Research Paper Competition. The program will award two prizes for research papers completed by an undergraduate student from any college at the UIUC. The criteria for the competition are as follows:
- The paper should focus on issues related to the populations of African descent in the U.S., North and South America, and/or the Caribbean.
- The paper should be accompanied by a cover letter indicating the major discipline. Papers should exhibit competence in research methods and stylistic preferences in their respective disciplines.
- The paper should represent completed research of 10-15 pages and should be typed and double spaced. Content, analytical skills, and bibliographical content and original contribution to the field of study are among the factors that will be considered.
- Papers should be identified by faculty nomination or by self nomination with the recommendation of a UIUC faculty member.
- In preparation for submitting to the competition, we strongly recommend that students take draft(s) of their submission to the Writing Center, 251 Undergraduate Library (333-8796).
Papers should be submitted to the competition by mailing or by bringing a copy to the department office, 1201 W. Nevada, Urbana (Corner of Goodwin & Nevada) between 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. (Full mailing address)
Please be sure that you receive a receipt of acceptance of your paper. Final date for submissions: 5pm on March 30, 2018. Awards will be announced at a reception in late April. The committee reserves the right not to give an award in any given year.Back to Top